“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage/journey to Zion.”- Psalm 84:5

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tightwad Tuesday...Making Sprouted Wheat Flour ( and Healthy Wholewheat Pancakes Pt. 2)




If you have been visiting lately you would know that I am on the hunt for incorporating soaked, fermented, and sprouted recipes lately. I finally jumped in and sprouted my own wheat berries and made sprouted wheat flour. If you were to go to the health food store you would pay a lot to buy already sprouted wheat berries. And this is where the savings tip comes in. I found some neat videos to show how to sprout your own wheat for a fraction of the price.



I saw some techniques lately that were a bit more complicated and then I found these videos. Oh they are so easy to implement. I sprouted some of my own wheat berries, dehydrated them in my dehydrator, ground them in my wheat grinder and made some pancakes. ( Part 1 of making healthy pancakes is HERE) They were wonderful! I used the flax seed egg replacement and had the most fluffy and light wholewheat pancakes I had ever had . I also used 1/2 the amount melted butter ( or olive oil) and 1/2 applesauce to replace what it called for oil in the recipe. With all these alterations not only do you have VERY healthy pancakes you have done many ways to decrease what you would have had to pay to make them.







Here is how to make flax seed egg replacement




Oh btw here is my pancake recipe that I use...



Mary's Pancakes ( Non soaked)

2 serving of flax seed egg replacement ...1 Tbsp. ground flax seed to 2-3 Tbsp.s water
2 cup of ground sprouted wholewheat flour
2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp.s melted butter or olive oil
2 Tbsp.s applesauce
1-2 two cups milk to desired consistancy ( I personally put in 1/4th the amount of milk and 3/4ths the amount water)

Beat eggs with a fork or whisk till light and fluffy: beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth.

If you try them come back and let me know how they turned out. :bake


I am joining today...




and

Plans4You

and...


Growing Home

4 comments:

  1. These pancakes must be yummy - and super-healthy!! Thanks for sharing!
    And camp was wonderful! An 11-yr.old boy in our class accepted the Lord as his Savior! :) We are STILL rejoicing! :)
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rally appreciate that you share the videos Mary, and not just the link. You've made it too easy NOT to learn!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Mary,

    I commend you on all your wonderful health efforts! I either do or have tried or want to try (!) most of what I've seen you post; some health issues in our family drove me to discover a better way to eat. "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook is my favorite and I'm still exploring it. I wish I had more time to do some things like what you posted here, but I guess any effort is better than none, right?

    God bless your progress with lovely success!

    Blessings,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting these, Mary! Now I'll know where to get this info when I'm ready to start super-healthy eating! Enjoy your 200 cupcakes and your time with family.

    Blessings,

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, each sweet comment brightens my day. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...